Facebook's Latest Promotion Requirements (Effective 11/5/14)
They did it again! And, like always, the changes to Facebook's promotion guidelines will most certainly affect how you run certain promotions on Facebook. The best way to ensure your sweepstakes or contest doesn't get removed from your page is to be "in the know" and comply, comply, comply.
WHAT YOU CAN'T DO
- Require or encourage people to tag themselves
- Require entrants to "like" your page to enter
- Afford entries for friend referrals (updated 2/26/15)
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Ask entrants to send a message to your page
- Ask entrants to comment or "like" a post on your page
- Ask entrants to post to your page
WHAT YOU MUST DO:
- Disclose charges. If your game includes in-app charges, you need to disclose this in your app's description so that people are aware prior to playing the game.
We see a lot of our clients run contests and sweepstakes on Facebook, with "like gating" being an integral piece of the entry process. Unfortunately, you just won't be able to do this anymore. And, if you think about it, it makes sense. You want people to like and follow your page because they actually have interest in your brand. Not, just because they have the chance to win something cool.
Nonetheless, the new guidelines still throw a wrench in most social sweepstakes and promotion plans. So, you'll need to rethink your strategy and ensure your official rules are on the up and up. We're here to help: 800-894-5461.